Chihuahuan Desert Home Page
Gardens Home Page
Willow Baccharis (Baccharis salicina)
- Common English Names: Willow Baccharis
- Common Spanish Names:
- Scientific Name: Baccharis salicina
- Family: Asteraceae (Sunflower Family)
- Geographic Range: Riparian areas of West Texas
north into plains of eastern NM, Colorado, Kansas, and Oklahoma.
- Plant Form: Deciduous shrub to 6’ H X 3’ W.
- Remarks: Erect, ascending, multiple-stemmed shrub
with 1-2 inch toothed willow-like leaves. Separate male and female
plants producing terminal clusters of disk flowers in early summer.
Tolerates a variety of soils, including saline or mineralized, needs
reliable periodic moisture, full sun, winter hardy.
Last Update: 9 Nov